Thursday, October 15, 2009

A tale of two (or more) trims

Hi, I've been enjoying the whole Chanel experience. Its been such great fun getting back into sewing again. While looking for the 'perfect' trim I've explored further afield and visited some places I'd heard about but not been to. Saigon fabrics for the silk lining and yesterday EM Greenfield ... and I think I may have found it!

My two early endeavours produced the pale mauve trim, a great match colour-wise, but somewhat insignificant and the purple braid.



The purple gave good contrast, but the style of braid was not what I was after. Encouraged by feedback and ideas from my earlier post, I tried a crochet edge (which didn't work) ...



... then a crotchet chain sewn to the reverse side of the trim, which looked surprisingly ok and was a possible fall back ...



In search of the 'pop' factor, I also tried a contrasting backing ribbon with the pale braid, which looked effective but the combination of trims proved too difficult to curve around the neck edge. It was also too weighty/bulky for the jacket.



So I've been on the hunt for something like the mauve trim but in purple, and yesterday I found it. It looks good on its own ...



... although if I have enough selvage available I'd like to add a fringed edge to tie it back in to the woolly jacket ...



Now I have a question! Do I need to pre-treat the trim, perhaps soak it in a gentle wool wash?

2 comments:

  1. Choices, choices! Isn't it fun?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed that part of the progress very much. Trims are so important annd pleasant to play with

    Marie-Noëlle

    ReplyDelete